Get Your Air Conditioner Ready for Summer -Useful Tips
Before It Gets Too Hot
With warm weather in the forecast, you should get prepared by checking out your air conditioner and getting it in tip top shape. By doing a few maintenance chores on your air conditioner, you can save yourself a bundle of money in cooling costs and service repairs.
- Change the filters. This is probably the easiest job to accomplish. Check the owner’s manual, but most service people recommend that you change the filter in a whole house unit at least once in a month. The filter is located behind the metal panel on the face of the unit. In window units, the filter is behind the metal or plastic panel. Many units now have permanent filters. To clean them, wash them with white vinegar and white. Let air dry and then replace them.
- Clean the condensation lines. This is the pipe or vent that carries condensation away from your home. If this becomes clogged, then the condensation will back up into your house which might cause a huge repair bill. Use a pool algaecide to clean the pipe, keeping the water flowing away.
- Install a programmable thermostat. If you don’t already own one, then a trip to the hardware store is in order. This thermostat can be set to turn on and off at different times of the day. You are saving energy by not having the house cooled while everyone is at work, but nice and cool when you arrive home. Some of these thermostats can be programmed from your smartphone, computer or tablet.
- Clean the outside coils of your air conditioner. Over the course of a year, dirt and grime have built up on the outside. For slightly dirty units, a quick spray with a garden hose should be enough. If the unit is really dirty, then purchase an air conditioner cleaner to thoroughly clean the unit.
- Clean indoor duct work. This is easily done by removing the register and wiping down the inside of the duct work. Make sure to rid it of any mold or fungus which has been caused by the condensation. Look for water damage to the unit and if found, call a professional.
- Hire a professional to do a pre-service check up of your unit before the hot season arrives. Having this done will mean that your only chore is to keep the filter clean and look for signs of damage.
- Clean debris from around the unit.
- Check the concrete slab. If the slab is not levelled, your air conditioning unit will have to work harder. Use a board to level it and then fill in with gravel.
By doing a pre-service inspection and repair, your air conditioning installation unit will be working at its maximum capability on days when you really need it. You don’t want to be the one who is sweltering while you wait for a repairman. You are also saving money because a tuned air conditioner will use less electricity.
If you live in Melbourne, Australia, you should call AMG Cooling Repairs. Their professional repairmen have worked on all types of systems including the new gas and inverter split system. AMG Cooling is owned by 2 brothers who began as commercial installers and saw the need to expand into the repair of both household and commercial air conditioning in Melbourne. They have over 50 years of combined experience in Melbourne Eastern heating services and repair and the business is now being taught to their offspring.
Now, even on the hottest day, you will be able to keep your cool in a relaxing, air-conditioned home.